Saturday, August 22, 2009

Getting Ready....

Hello! Thanks for reading my blog! I will be traveling to Benin in West Africa on September 3. Here's where it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationBenin.svg. I will be stationed on the Africa Mercy as a pediatric nurse for 4 months, making it home just in time for Christmas.

Lots of information can be learned at Mercy Ships' website: http://www.mercyships.org/home but I will give you a few stats. I will be on the Africa Mercy, the largest charity hospital ship in the world. It's 499 feet, has 6 operating rooms, and intensive care and ward space for 78 patients. Total capacity on the ship is 484, and it attracts volunteers from more than 30 nations. Some examples of the surgeries that are performed on the ship include cleft lip and palate repair, facial reconstruction, cataract removal, and dental treatments. The organization also participates in training local people in modern healthcare tecniques, and developmental projects including clinics, orphanages, and water well construction.

I have felt God calling me to developing countries since I learned what a missionary was. That's actually a big reason I became a nurse and took a semester of French in college (although I don't remember much! Ce va?) So here I go. I think God really showed me that this is the right time to go. My lease was up in Chicago, I have wonderful parents who are completely supportive, and I have a bit of money saved from working as a nurse. Plus I'm young and not tied down to anything!

So if you think of me please say a prayer. Although I feel at peace and that this is what God wants of me, I am of course a little nervous. Thanks again for reading this blog, hopefully the next one will be from Africa and a little more entertaining! Love to you all!

5 comments:

  1. How exciting, Jess! You will be awesome and love the people forever! We will follow your blog and pray for you. God's blessings as you get ready to go!
    Kim (& Bill) Boynton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jess! You will have the time of your life. I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you, Jess! I look forward to reading about your adventures. You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting Jessica. Ofcourse My family will pray for you. I'm happy that you are following your vision and calling. It will be fullfilling and you will never forget. Do your best and god bless you through your travels.
    Laila

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say a prayer for you! You are doing a tremendous thing! I know you will bring a smile to all the children you take care of. St. Christopher be with you!

    ReplyDelete